Our Mission and Values
We are innovators who continue to overcome adversity and defy the status quo. We offer new solutions for wellness and lead by example that mental health recovery is possible.
We envision a world where people can freely choose among many recovery options that address the needs of the whole person. We see a future where people with mental health challenges are valued for their essential contributions to society.
- Hope: We believe there is hope and that recovery is real and possible for everyone who experiences mental health challenges.
- Social Inclusion: We strive to create a barrier-free community free from discrimination and stigma, where individuals labeled as "mentally ill" are included and treated as equals with dignity, compassion, mutual respect, and unconditional high regard — where we live, learn, love, work, play, and pray in safety and acceptance.
- Self-determination: Self-determination is essential for recovery to occur. We need to be in control of our own lives and have voluntary choices and options in our community. We define our own life goals and design a unique path toward those goals.
- Cultural Responsiveness: We value the strengths of our cultural and ethnic communities. We honor their voices, experiences, and leadership.
- Empowerment: We believe in increasing the spiritual, political, social, and economic strengths of individuals in recovery. This involves developing confidence in our own capacities.
- Personal Responsibility: We take personal responsibility for our own self-development, self-care, and journey of recovery. Through actively engaging in our wellbeing, we increase our personal strengths.
- Strengths-based: We focus on valuing and building on the multiple capacities, resiliencies, talents, abilities, and uniqueness of individuals. By building on these strengths, we leave the "I can't" mentality behind and engage in new life roles (e.g., partner, caregiver, friend, student or employee).
- Peer Support: We provide mutual support, including the sharing of experiential knowledge and skills and social learning. We encourage and engage other consumers and family members in recovery and provide each other with a sense of belonging, supportive relationships, valued roles, and community.
- Collaboration: We collaborate with consumers, their families, mental health providers, and the community as a whole to transform the mental health system to a wellness, recovery, and resiliency model.
- Lived Experience: We know each person is an expert on him- or herself and we know from our full range of lived experiences what works because WE ARE THE EVIDENCE!